What is a custom Alexa skill?
- Amazon’s voice service is called Alexa. Much like your phone has an “app”, your Amazon devices (Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Tap, Echo Show, etc) have skills. Users interact with their Alexa enabled device via skills.
- Skills can be “default” – meaning they come pre-enabled on your Alexa device, or they can be “custom”. Custom skills are searchable in the Alexa Skills Store and offer tons of fun features from games to news to smart home devices…even listening to HITS 102.7!
Are custom Alexa skills free for Alexa users?
- Yes, custom Alexa skills are free for users to enable and interact with on their Alexa-enabled devices.
How do I enable HITS 102.7’s Alexa skill (you will only have to do this once!)?
- To enable, you have three options:
- Search Amazon.com/skills for the HITS 102.7 skill & enable
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device, search for the HITS 102.7 skill & click enable
- Say “Alexa, enable the HITS 102.7 skill”
Once my skill is enabled, how do I use it?
- Simply say “Alexa, play hits one oh two seven”
- Skills have sets of features/abilities that you can access simply by asking. Until you are familiar with a skill’s abilities, use Help or Options voice commands to hear what a skill can do. When you know what features are available, ask for your specific course of action.
The following is a short list of commands you could use with the HITS 102.7 skill:
- “Alexa, play HITS 102.7”
- “Alexa, pause”
- “Alexa, resume”
- “Alexa, TURN IT UP”
- “Alexa, LOUDER”
- “Alexa, softer”